I wandered around the farm the other day with my camera in hand.
I saw a few signs that Spring is on its way. Yay!
The daylilies are beginning to peak through the dirt…
The chickens have done a great job of clearing away all the weeds which saved me a LOT work! Thank you girls :).
I don’t remember what these are but they are shooting up quickly…
It amazes me that these plants are so hardy even under feet of snow. While I was walking around that day there was still a bit of snow in front of barn…
It is all gone now but the forecast, as of today, is calling for snow showers on Thursday. oh boy! Thankfully, the snow won’t bother what’s already coming up. whew!
Another sign of Spring is our driveway; or lack thereof …
The deterioration started last Spring when we received copious amounts of rain and the force of the water coming down off the mountains started washing out the rocks. Then with each rain then the melting of all the snow it has just continued to deteriorate and here we are almost into Spring again. It’s hard to tell from the photo but there are some spots where it has eroded a foot or more.
Before spending any money to fix the driveway we need to address the runoff of the mountain issue otherwise any monies spent would be washed away into the creek. We got an estimate to have a pond dug at the base of the hill beside the barn, culverts placed where necessary and the driveway fixed but, truth be told, it was way more than we can afford.
I have entered the farm into a contest with Hobby Farm magazine and BobCat where the winner will receive a week’s worth of whatever needs done using BobCat equipment and a crew. I focused on our need to solve the runoff issue for not only the driveway but also the barn where water goes as well making four of the stalls unusable in rainy season. Needless to say, I am praying hard that we win! I’d love it if you’d send up a prayer or two also :). I think the winner will be chosen sometime in April or May.
If we don’t win, well… I don’t know; we’ll figure something out.
Last Friday and Saturday were beautiful so we took advantage of it and headed outdoors. More progress was made in and around the chicken coop.
We straightened up a little more and salvaged what wood we could by cutting off rotten ends.
Since our budget is slim to none on the coop redo we are using what’s already in and around the farm. One such item we were reusing were the roosts for inside the coop. I liked the poles of the pole shed and wanted to use them for the roosts. They were well-worn tree limbs or small trees and I thought they would be perfect! The thickness of them were good where the girls could still wrap their feet around it yet big enough so that their feet would be mostly, if not completely, covered when they hunker down therefore helping to keep their feet warm during the cold, winter months. I also really like the look of them :).
But, in order to use them we had to get rid of the pole shed.
After we relocated everything from underneath and around the pole shed CountryBoy made quick work of it by simply removing the side braces then pushing it over. That’s how rotten most of the poles were.
It looks so different now!
We still have to remove the shingles and salvage what wood we can but that thin white line on the ground is the roof.
Now we had some wood to make new roosts for the girls.
In our efforts to create an efficient coop CountryBoy wanted to relocate the roosts. Here’s where we originally put them…
and now they’re over here…
This arrangement works much better making the coop roomier and giving the girls more room to jump/fly down from the roosts.
We also made it wider to accommodate the chicks we are getting in April.
This should be sufficient to accommodate our future flock of 26 comfortably.
Here are the girls the first night after the roost relocation…
I think they like them! Oh, and aren’t the pole shed poles perfect for roosts?!
Still to do in the coop are adding more nest boxes and building the grow-out coop. Bit by bit.
The days the weather has not been conducive to working outdoors I have spent some of my time making these cute little card wallets…
I have enjoyed spending time in my sewing room this winter because before long I won’t have the time or the energy to do much sewing once the ground warms up and it’s time to get the gardens going. Then my days will be filled with mowing, weeding, harvesting and preserving. To everything there is a season so I am making the most of winter :).
I’m also hoping to be able to open up my Etsy shop again or maybe create my own site therefore cutting out the middle man. We’ll see. All in time. Bit by bit!